Thursday, January 15, 2009

Interviews?!

I arrived back in Charlottesville last week to interview madness. For those first years on the banking and consulting tracks, it is suit-up-and-sell season -- a time when many are anxiously clicking on the Career Development Center's website scanning closed lists, holing up in learning team rooms for case prep and mock interviews, and receiving their first internship offers.
Me ... not so much.
The majority of my job search has been, and will continue to be, off-grounds. This poses all sorts of interesting dilemmas.
First, I'm on a totally different time frame than many of my peers. I, for one, do not have interviews this week. And, while I've put in some time prepping, it could easily be more than a month before I begin to hear back from some of the companies I'm interested in. On my bad days, this time gap makes me nervous and I begin to question whether it might not be best to start throwing my resume into contention for jobs that have a very clear interview and offer schedule. On my better days, however, I pat myself on the back for staying true to my interests.
Second, off-grounds jobs are, as implied by their name, more difficult to find. Throughout the past few months, I've become a daily presence on a variety of job sites. Sometimes I turn up hidden jewels. Other times though, I'm filtering through the same internships I spotted last week.
Third, often I feel like I am sending my applications into a great abyss. Unlike on-grounds recruiting, where you get to attend briefings, meet face-to-face with recruiters and submit your application through the CDC, applying online means you're often left in the dark about who is reviewing your resume and when they might contact you.
It all sounds so frustrating, doesn't it? Honestly, there are moments when it is. But then I think about what brought me to Darden. It definitely wasn't the dream of becoming an I-banker. While that may work for many of my peers, it's a job I know I'd hate. And I guess that makes waiting a little easier.

No comments: