Saturday, January 24, 2009

Comfort and confidence

So, along with interview angst and return-to-school trepidation, the start of Q3 has brought some significant changes.

Among them, new sections. In a few of my earlier posts, I may have mentioned that I spent my first semester at Darden as a Section B-er. Each of the first year class's five sections has its own traditions and thus, being in Section B meant that I: a) often wore orange, b) frequently attended parties with a stuffed Big Bird doll, and c) sang an ode to section solidarity every Friday afternoon.

But no longer.

This past week I became part of a new section -- Section 3. And, while I have high hopes for this new group of peers ... it's just not the same. I miss the camaraderie and the closeness of my former section. Now admittedly, I was not the biggest ra-ra Section B-er. In fact, sometimes I was a little reluctant to pull on my Big Bird polo (sorry fellow B readers, it's just not my favorite look...). But being thrown into a new section has made me much more appreciative of the people, the atmosphere and yes, the traditions that made Section B, B.

See, in Section B (even while sitting in cold call alley), I felt comfortable. I knew my peers and trusted that when I finally got over my shyness and threw out a comment or two, they'd be kind. They wouldn't judge me -- even if I said something idiotic. Eventually this sense of comfort led to confidence and, while I was never the biggest contributor to class discussions, I eventually become a much more active participant.

So what happens now that I'm in a new section? Well honestly, I've been in what I like to call "observation mode" (read: "silent"). Blessed with a seat in the back row (affectionately called "the sky deck"), I spent the first few days of Q3 classes listening to my new section-mates' comments and trying to get up the courage to offer a few of my own. It's worked a few times but I know I need to do better.

But how do you rush comfort and with it, confidence?

2 comments:

Irene said...

I'm with you Angela, I miss my section D, too!

Anand said...

I overcame the speaking barrier by getting comfortable with being wrong. So what if I am wrong and class gives me the stares, I have been wrong before and so have all others. I don't know if this will work for you but its worth a try.