Sunday, July 5, 2009

Work: The Half-Way Point

While it seems like just yesterday I was sweating through first-day-of-work jitters, a second glance at my Outlook calendar confirms it: I'm half-way through my summer internship. My final presentation is a mere three weeks away. And my stay in DC ends in just over a month. I guess that means it's time for an update ... and this time, I'll try and stick to what I've learned on the job.
First, there's definitely something to be said for being part of a well-established MBA internship program. For decades, the company I work for has hired its next generation of managers from its pool of summer interns. As a result, the internship program emphasizes real world experience, impactful projects and significant company exposure. Each week, my fellow interns and I have lunch with at least two or three executives. Casual and intimate (there are only 5 MBA interns), these lunches give us the opportunity to learn about a variety of departments, introduce ourselves and share our impressions of the company and the industry. It's been great.
Second, "impactful projects" = real responsibility. And this is particularly true when you're in an industry like media, which is under significant pressure to change. One of the projects I'm working on involves taking a new program from concept to launch. I realized pretty quickly that the figures I keyed into my spreadsheets represented not only real dollars, but real risk: the risk of trying new things at a time when resources are scarce and the need for innovation is palpable.
Third, you can learn a lot about a place from the way people approach their jobs. One of the things I appreciate most about the firm I work for is the enthusiasm people have for the product and its legacy. There's a real sense of pride that comes through when executives talk about their commitment to journalism. And that pride trickles down throughout the organization.

No comments: