Thursday, December 4, 2008

Second quarter down!


And with a cover letter-crazy flourish, it's done ... Q2 that is. I know I've said this before, but it is mind boggling how fast my time at Darden is flying by (of course, I didn't think that 2 posts ago when I was deep in the midst of Black November, but hey, it's December and my perspective has changed). What a quarter it's been, too. What with Finance and Economics and multi-day simulations, I think I've made it to just one TNDC (Thursday Night Drinking Club) event.
So what have I been doing with myself? Well sadly, I've spent a socially-unacceptable amount of time studying. As previously mentioned, the course-load this quarter was pretty quant-heavy. And trying to make sense of IS/LM shifts, free cash flows and marketable securities accounting took a looooong time. Still does, actually.
Then, of course, there's the job hunt -- that harsh romp-with-reality forced on all of us peddling resumes in a down economy. In the past couple weeks, I've spent countless hours scanning the Career Development Center's website, searching for off-Grounds job postings and writing cover letters. It's a seriously time-consuming process. And ideally, it's a process that spurs moments of real self-introspection: what kind of job do I want? How does that compare with the kinds of jobs I could realistically get? What would this or that job mean for my personal life? How would this job vs. that job position me for full-time employment? And on it goes ...
With so many things crowding my to-do list, it's easy to see why my social life has taken a hit. Tonight however, offers me a chance to redeem myself. Even though exams begin Monday and I desperately need to study, tonight I will put on a dress, blow dry my hair and strap on some 3-inch heels. For what better way to celebrate the end of Q2 and the impending holidays, than a charity auction and ball. That's right folks, it's Darden prom!

1 comment:

TheCakeScraps said...

I think that a post on "What would this or that job mean for my personal life?" would be interesting.

What sorts of correlations have you found in your search between time at job, pay, availability, skills, etc.? Are they all of the correlations that you expected or not?