Saturday, December 6, 2008

Relationship adjustments

For me, the most exciting moment of the past week was not the end of Q2, my four hours at the Darden prom or the day I realized I'd soon be en route to Tokyo. While those were all good moments to be sure, they pale in comparison to the moment when my boyfriend, a Darden second year, learned he'd been offered a place in a competitive leadership development program. I don't think I've ever been happier for, or prouder of, someone. And yes, I cried.
But don't worry, this is not where I start waxing lyrical about the wonderful attributes of my significant other (although I could). Instead, this is where I write about something I've thought a lot about in recent weeks: how will his job affect where I go and what I do?
See, I've never been much of a follower. Until now, all of my relocation decisions have been based on what's best for me.
Not this time though. This time, I want what's best for us.
Job-wise, that has some interesting implications. Initially, it means finding a summer internship that will best position me to find a permanent job wherever Jordan is. And come next year, it'll mean my job search will be limited not just by industry and function, but also by geography.
While a few years ago, this would have been unthinkable, I've realized that to ensure a relationship will work, I have to make ... adjustments (I won't call them concessions).

1 comment:

TheCakeScraps said...

I am finding out first hand how tough this can be. When I go for my MBA I will have to look at schools that offer something for my girlfriend (currently in a Masters program) as well as a great MBA program.

I like that you call them adjustments at the end. It can be hard to explain to others that you are not just following somebody but rather working together to find a path that works.