Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Leaving the bubble

There are just three exams standing between me and a much-needed, 5-week vacation and I have to admit, it's getting a little hard to concentrate on my Operations notes. Instead of focusing on inventory carrying costs, reorder points and process capabilities, my mind keeps wandering to my post-test plans. And how could it not? The coming break will be the first time since graduating from college that I've been able to enjoy the holidays without rushing back to work a day or two after Christmas. Plus, I've got quite a packed schedule. On Saturday I will be leaving Charlottesville behind and traveling to Tokyo for two weeks. Then, it's back to Virginia for my best friend's wedding and immediately thereafter, I head to New England for New Year's.
Yet while I'm excited to (finally!) get away, it's going to be kind of odd to step outside the Darden bubble. Since arriving in Charlottesville in late July, I've made two forays into Richmond, but other than that, I've been limited to the 10-mile radius around Darden. It's gotten to the point where I've almost forgotten what a normal conversation sounds like (scratch the references to revenue recognition, right?).
And that's not good. Because before I came to Darden, I had a pretty full life: I read books, I baked, I had long chats with friends and family, I played sports, and occasionally, I spent entire days curled up on my couch watching mindless TV.
So here are my great aims for this vacation: reconnect with the person I was before I came to business school. Take advantage of a case-less, Outlook-free existence. Have a normal conversation.
Oh, but wait ... I guess I need to get Operations, Finance and Marketing out of the way first.

No comments: