Monday, October 6, 2008

"So official"

Recently, one of my friends started asking me when my boyfriend and I were going "FBO," by which she meant "Facebook official." For those unversed in the wildly addictive world of online social networking, your Facebook profile offers you the option of declaring to the world (or at least, your 277+ "friends") that you are single, married, in a relationship, etc. If you're in a relationship, you can specify who you're in a relationship with and have their profile link to yours. And this, according to my friend, is an all-important sign of commitment -- kind of the 2008 version of exchanging ID bracelets and officially "going steady."
Well, my boyfriend and I decided to go FBO Friday. And apparently, people noticed. "SO OFFICIAL!" read one message I received.
Such a public announcement (especially when the audience includes acquaintances you haven't seen in years) is not in keeping with my usual style. Despite my new found blogging habit, I'm a relatively private person. And this relationship is pretty new (we met at Darden, after all).
Funny then, that in just a month, my relationship has accelerated to the point where I feel no qualms listing my relationship status right above my hometown. And this, like so much these days, I'm going to chalk up to the stress and pressures of business school.
In this frenzied and frustrating time, relationships can provide an important antidote to a long day. Just in this past week, my boyfriend has seen me pushed to tears over a particularly grueling set of cases. He's seen me question myself and question my ambitions. And he's responded with impressive calm, not only listening to me whine, but trying to convince me that really, everything will be just fine. Even in Decision Analysis.
So yeah, I snagged a good one. It's official.

No comments: