Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow ... again

The last time I wrote about snow, I was all about it. Snow, I recall saying, inspires a sense of adventure; a feeling of newness. Hah. That was last week.
This week, I'm over it. Having just survived about 20 inches of weekend snowfall, Charlottesville is now expecting another 5 to 10 inches by Wednesday afternoon. And that, my friends, means more power outages, more aborted travel plans, more slippery roads and sliding cars, more grocery stockpiling and more shoveling. Disastrous! As the inconveniences pile up, snow has begun to lose its luster. While this California girl was once seduced by its shiny, fresh, downy facade, she has now come face to face with snow's more sinister side. The side that turns snow angels into sniffles and coughs, outdoor plans into candlelit games of Apples to Apples and dusted curbs into icy, rock hard obstacle courses. Last weekend's snowstorm was a novelty, this past weekend's was an irritation and this week's will be my undoing.

1 comment:

Prakash said...

Hey Angela, love reading your blog ! As a member of the Class of 2012, its been a great source of insight into what life @ Darden is going to be like.

And hey, if you made it through 20 inches, whats another 5, right ? :). Coming from Canada, you'd think that I'd look forward to the snow, but I cant stand it either, and truly hope that the next few winters in Charlottesville aren't like this years !