Thursday, October 22, 2009

Time to get a J-O-B

... or at least, that's what the parade of stressed and suited Darden students would indicate. Yet I have not put on a suit all year. And I'm feeling the pressure. Big time. Problem is, the industry I have my heart set on - media - doesn't recruit on the same schedule or through the same process as other, more popular post-B-school industries, like banking and consulting. While other companies have visited Grounds, toting free water bottles and scouting for incoming MBA classes of 20 or 30, most media companies have no idea what openings they'll have next year. Which leaves me ... stressed.
Both a planner and a worrier, I have spent the last few weeks worrying about not having a plan. In some ways, this worrying has been good. It's spurred me to reach out to Darden alums, scour media websites for job listings and remind myself (sometimes hourly) that "everything will be fine." In other ways, however, this worrying has been ... bad. I've cried, complained and dragged myself around my apartment feeling woeful and sorry for myself. Not attractive. Not even to my very loving and supportive boyfriend.
Yet even in those dark moments, I know I'm on the right track. After all, no one said following your heart was easy.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Great post, Angela. I appreciate your honesty. And you're right--it is difficult to follow your dreams; particularly when it goes against "conventional wisdom" (whatever that is. *smile*). Stay encouraged! The alternative (chasing something about which you are not passionate) is not an option. :) You're an inspiration!

JulyDream said...

Keep your chin up!! I'll admit, recruiting on campus has me feeling much of the same way. It may seem easier, but I'm not quite convinced. I'm sure you'll end up where you need to be. :)