Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Yay Thursday!

So excited about the end of a particularly trying week! But before I begin the weekend revelry, I wanted to type up some thoughts on a subject that gets Darden's halls a-buzzing: Business school dating.
A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine suggested I pick up the latest copy of "MBA Jungle." I had no idea what I'd find or why he'd suggested it. Then I saw the cover: "Study Partners," it read, "8 Laws of B-School Dating."
The article inside is hilarious. But perhaps more importantly, it drives home some interesting points. One is that relationships (and here I'm talking about inter-school relationships) become fodder for the rumor mill at breakneck speed.
As one-half of a new Darden relationship, I've experienced this first-hand. I've gotten the looks and answered the questions:
Q: "Are you dating?"
A: "Uhhh ... yes."
Q: "And how long have you known eachother?"
A: "A week and a half."
Harmless. Funny, even. And, as more and more of us pair off (and according to "MBA Jungle," we will), I think that's a good thing to note. Yes, it's weird dating in a very high school-like environment. But it can also be great. You just have to shrug off the winks and whispers.

No comments: