Monday, September 22, 2008

Back at it

Well, it's Monday again. Crazy how quick it comes, even after a three-day weekend. Yet this week, I've decided to try and do things a little differently: I've decided to make a conscious effort to work on my Darden/life balance. What does that mean?

First off, eating. This weekend, I went shopping for the first time in months. And, while trying on skirts at J.Crew, I noticed that my usual size was fitting a lot looser than it did pre-B-school. Typically, a realization like this would be welcome. But not when you know full-well that it comes as a result of not eating for so long that your growling stomach is audible from across the room.

Second, working out. In my real life, I'm a 6 to 7 day-a-week gym-goer. I know that sounds excessive, but for me, the gym is the place where I go to de-stress and let off some steam. Exercise keeps me sane. And believe me, I feel it when I don't go. Take last week 's minor meltdown as an example...

Third, downtime. Much as I love dissecting cases late into the night with my learning team, there comes a point when I need to pull myself away, steal half an hour for myself and relax. Sometimes this involves sharing a glass of wine with my roommate; other times, it's picking up a copy of The New Yorker and remembering the world outside Charlottesville. Recently, it's meant curling up on the couch with my significant other.

So there you have it, my plan for a balanced Darden existence. We'll see how realistic it proves to be.

No comments: