Tuesday, May 5, 2009

One more exam




... four hours of Data Analysis and Optimization, and likely 20+ pages of hypothesis tests, regressions, sensitivity reports and scatter plots, and my first year at Darden will come to a close. Now, I've said many a time that the months have rushed by, but these last couple in particular seem to have passed at warp speed. I mean, wasn't Spring Break just last week? Uh, no, it wasn't. In fact, I've apparently sat through 75 classes (5 courses) between then and now. But really, that's how it feels.


And this is something I hope my peers and I conveyed to the hundreds of prospective students Darden hosted last weekend for Darden Days: the time goes quick, so engage in and enjoy as much as possible.


Throughout this year of tremendous highs (internship offer!) and devastating lows (Q1 confusion), there are definitely moments when you need to lock yourself away in your apartment and bust out a few spreadsheets. But the more memorable moments, to me at least, are those when you're out engaging with the rest of this incredible community ... the girls' nights at Continental Divide, the section parties at abandoned frat houses (oh, only our section did that?) and the club receptions at Dean Bruner's. When stress levels are at their peak, real, rest-of-your-life friendships are forged. To me, that's been the best thing about Darden. Yes, I've learned a ton. Yes, I'll go into my internship prepared and confident. But most of all, yes, I'll walk away from this year feeling a part of a community.


I hope the Class of 2011 got a taste of what that's like at Darden Days. Friday night's dinner at King Family Vineyards highlighted Darden at it's finest. The setting was absolutely beautiful, the food and drink were plentiful and the company was phenomenal. I honestly have no idea how anyone could walk away from that event unsure about coming here in the fall.

No comments: